Blog Description

I'll be periodically updating my blog with information about my journey through college and how I am accomplishing my goal of becoming a physician assistant.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Almost There!

Hey everyone! So it's been over a year since I last posted. Life has been very busy preparing for PA school. Since I last posted, I have served a year as captain of my college campus' EMS squad, graduated college(!), got engaged(!!), shadowed PAs in the trauma bay and in the ER, and completed a one semester internship in a cardiopulmonary rehabilitation clinic, where I interacted with a multitude of patients and got to observe many different specialties of medicine! Oh, and how could I forget, I also got accepted into a PA school!! Here's a brief summary of my application process and the interviews:

I made sure to submit my application through CASPA early, and I recommend you do the same. The application opens in April, and you can submit it any time after that. I finally submitted mine in the middle of July 2008, a bit later than I had hoped for. Within about a month, I began to hear back from schools. I applied to five schools. Out of these five, I interviewed at four, was accepted at two, and waitlisted at another. I chose the first school that I interviewed at because I fell in love with the program while I was there. The faculty, campus, and curriculum really sold me! Funny thing is, this program was my fifth choice when I applied, but as soon as I got there, I knew it was where I had to go! I will be beginning there this July, and it runs through September 2011. I'm very excited, and nervous at the same time!

As for now, I'm working on getting the apartment lease set up, buying things for the apartment, and figuring out financial aid. I move in the first week of Julyrd, giving me about two weeks to settle in before the program starts.

Well, that's all for now. I only had a few minutes to sit down and post, so it had to be a quick one. But as always, thanks for reading, and feel free to post any comments/questions you may have! Good luck!!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations on your acceptance! I will be shadowing a PA at Albert Einstein Medical Center next week and was wondering if you could give me some pointers. I read up on an article I found online. It mentioned that we shouldn't pose questions or get in the way...even if they are sitting quietly as they may be thinking about a question... not to wear perfume, wear revealing clothing, etc. All the usual facts. However, do you have any other suggestions to make so that I can get the most out of this experience? Should you keep a professional distance from them? Try to befriend them? Obviously, I am very nervous. Please help!

The Sleepy Squirrel said...

You are writing a blog? I live in the same apartment as you and you never told me you blogged? Thanks, dear. Oh, I also noticed a lack of reference to your's truly, the writer of the flash cards. Yeah. What's that about?

Johana Soto said...

I am going to visit the NOVA campus in Ft. Lauderdale this coming Friday and would love any suggestions you may have on what questions I should be asking them. I don't plan on attending there (I want to apply to three in the LA area) so I can ask questions freely without worrying about making a good impression.

Congrats on your acceptance.

Ron said...

Hey! Thanks for reading my blog! I'd recommend asking about support systems for students including tutoring. Also ask about how available the professors are outside of class for extra help. Hope that helps!