Blog Description

I'll be periodically updating my blog with information about my journey through college and how I am accomplishing my goal of becoming a physician assistant.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Catching Up

Hey everyone! So if you’ve been following this blog, you’ve probably noticed that I haven’t posted since November of last year. Well, here’s a quick update. Spring semester was a killer (clinical medicine, pharm, lab med), but I got through it, and now I’m on rotations! I began my 3rd rotation a few weeks ago, and believe me, the hard work you put in during the first year will really pay off! Rotations are definitely a nice break from the classroom, and I have noticed that I have (some) free time now! If you have any specific questions regarding rotations, feel to message me.

Speaking of messaging me…a few of you have sent me messages, and I never responded. Well, that goes along with the whole not posting in a year thing. But I’ll do my best to respond to as many as I can below.

“Please tell me what you guys are learning in PA school so i can prepare myself better.”

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the anatomy of the human body, as well as a basic understanding of various common diseases (COPD, heart failure, etc). This will certainly make your life easier when you start PA school.

“Did the human anatomy and physiology required in the HES major count as prereqs? Or did you take human anatomy and physiology through the bio department?”

I can’t speak for every school, but all of the programs that I interviewed at accepted the HES A&P. Just make sure you take two semesters. In all honesty though, I wish I had taken the bio A&P, because the HES classes were a bit too watered down.

“What undergraduate major would you suggest getting? Would you advise someone to get a degree in nursing to become an RN and work for a year or two after getting the degree before applying to PA school?”

I would recommend any major that you have an interest in, can do well in, and complete all of the required prerequisites through either your core classes or electives. You also need to make sure you have spare time to get patient contact hours. I know it seems like a lot, but it’s entirely worth it in the end!

As for being an RN, that would be great experience for PA school. There are no former RNs in my class, but I do know a few in other programs. The one thing that I would recommend however is to have a strong argument about why you want to be a PA and not a NP after being an RN. I can almost guarantee that you will be asked this on interviews. As long as you have a good argument, I don’t see it being a problem.

"One question, how can I get to shadow a PA? Did shadowing a PA and being an EMT provide you with the required hours of direct patient contact that most schools look for?"

That one is a bit tricky. What I did to find PAs was I contacted my states physician assistant society and asked for PAs willing to have students shadow. You can also ask doctors or NPs that you know, or call around to a few doctors’ offices and ask. Calling volunteer offices at hospitals might be helpful, but due to hospital regulations, it could be tough.

My patient contact hours came from being an EMT and a PT aide. If I remember correctly, shadowing didn’t count as direct contact, as I was just observing, but it definitely helped.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to leave me a comment below. Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! would you mind me asking you - what school are you at?
I am in NJ, and looking to shadow...any ideas?
What are your hours/classes like in the first year?

Anonymous said...

Hi!

What was you GPA when applying to PA school? Also, what did you write your letter of application about?

Thanks!

Erica Calix said...

Hi! Just wanted to say thank you for your post. I'm a current Biology major with plans for applying to PA schools as soon as I finish all my pre-reqs. The information you have been posting is very helpful.

Anonymous said...

Hi!!...I'm trying to get into the University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ its my school of choice but I'm open to other programs it just happens thats my home state...anyways I'm applying for next yr... I'm currently shadowing a PA in gastroenterology and I want to ask her questions about being a PA however I'm just drawing a blank of what kind of questions to ask...What questions did you ask the PA you shadowed??

Anonymous said...

Hi, What are some questions you asked PA's that you shadowed? I'm scheduled with one tomorrow, (just finding this blog) and want to ask the right questions. I'd possibly like to ask this PA for a reference letter if all goes well. thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I was just curious what your undergrad GPA was and what some of your grades in the main science/pre-req classes were.
Thanks and good luck!

Mimi said...

Hi. I have just discovered your blog because i'm preparing to apply to pa school. I majored in poli sci and finished in 2 1/2 yrs and have now decided that i wanna go into medicine. so i'm working on pre reqs for pa school, shadowing, and all that jazz. my question is that how are you managing financially while in pa school. Especially because the program is extremely rigorous and so you cannot work. Thanks.

Jennifer said...

Hi,
I am interested in applying to PA school as well, but I dont have any experience shadowing a PA, nor do I have experience volunteering. Well, most of the volunteers that I've been exposed to are clerical based. So instead, I wanted to get certified for EMT-B. I noticed that you said you are now doing ER tech instead of EMT-B. Which one do you prefer? What other certifications do you need to become an ER tech?
Thank you!

GreenieGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GreenieGirl said...

Hi!

I am an RN interested in applying for PA school. My question is a financial one. How do you afford daily/monthly living expenses when you have to stop working in order to attend school full time? I am used to working while attending school part-time. Will I just have to take out a HUGE personal loan to pay for things like rent, food, car payment, cell phone, etc?? How are you doing it?

Lisa R said...

Thanks so much for posting all this information! I am pre-PA and still have 2 years of undergraduate school before I can go to PA school, but I am trying to stay on top of all the hours I need to apply. I am currently shadowing and volunteering at a hospital which is great for some hours, but through shadowing the PA, she told me that you definitely need some hours that are more hands on (ex. EMT, patient care tech, PT aide). Don't all of these things require taking classes/schooling/certification to do? I am so busy with classes and everything else that I don't know how I would have time to take MORE classes to get those hands on hours. Any insight you have on this would be much appreciated!!

Miss Medina said...

Hello Im not sure if you still have access to this blog, but I saw that your EMT counted as experience, but does EMT-B count? or do you have to be a full on paramedic?? I checked on USC's site and it just says EMT, but I'm not sure you know. your answer would help a lot! :)

fabiola said...

I have to say finding your blog today was like having a prayer answered! I am a single parent going to school in hopes of becoming a PA. You try to find out valuable information as you can that would keep you on track towards becoming a PA but I recieve mixed answers. I now know what I need to do! I will not lie I have my doubts I guess because i'm fearful that I wont succeed, however I am fighting to get there! How did you become a EMT? Did you have to take classes? I know certain EMT's have to take about a year of classes before they can apply for certification? just like the post in Feb I'm a full time student and I dont have the time to take any additional classes...especially when you have to maintain a 3.5 grade point average.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of the PA program offered at Kettering university in OH?